Caring for Yourself After an Abortion
Caring for yourself after an abortion is important. Staff is available 24 hours a day to answer your questions or discuss concerns. Safe Abortion Clinic Johannesburg
Please Contact Dr. Robin
Normal Side Effects
Some women do not experience any bleeding. Others may have bleeding that lasts from 2–6 weeks.
- Bleeding may be spotty, dark brown, and include clots.
- Often there is no bleeding for the first few days immediately following the abortion, then hormonal changes may cause bleeding as heavy as a period around the third or fifth day and increased cramping.
- If heavy bleeding (soaking a full-sized maxi-pad in one hour) occurs, then begin deep uterine massaging for 10 minutes, take Ibuprofen, use a heating pad, and decrease activity.
- If heavy bleeding continues for more than three hours, call us (see calling instructions above).
Discharge: After an Abortion
The discharge may be:
- Non-bloody and range from a brown to black color.
If the discharge is itchy or painful, has a bad odor, and is pus-like, call us (see calling instructions above).
- Cramping is normal and necessary for the uterus to return to its non-pregnant size.
- Some Times Cramping may be occasional, like menstrual cramps, for the first few days.
- The Cramping may increase, along with bleeding and clotting, particularly around the third to fifth day.
- Cramping should be relieved by ibuprofen, deep uterine massage, heat, and rest.
Cramping may be relieved by one or more of the following:
- Take 800 mg ibuprofen with food or milk every 6 to 8 hours.
- Apply uterine massages frequently. This involves firmly pressing down on your abdomen with your fingertips. Rub in a circular motion from the belly button to your pubic bone. You may need to continue this for at least 10 minutes to get some relief.
- Drink warm liquids such as tea or hot cocoa.
- Use a heating pad or hot water bottle on your abdomen.
Abnormal Side Effects
If you have any of the following symptoms, you could be experiencing an emergency. Please call us right away (see calling instructions above).After an Abortion
Prolonged Heavy Bleeding
- Soaking 2 or more maxi pads in an hour for 2 hours in a row.
- Blood clots larger than a lemon.
Severe pain or cramping that medication does not help.
Chills and fever of 101° F or higher after the day of your procedure.
- Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea that lasts more than 24 hours.
- Vaginal discharge that smells bad.
- Depression that won’t go away.
- Still feeling pregnant (fatigue, morning sickness, or breast tenderness) more than two weeks after your procedure.
If you are experiencing any of the abnormal symptoms, please contact us right away (see calling instructions above).
Emotions: After an Abortion
Women experience a variety of emotions after an abortion.
- Feelings of relief, sadness, elation, or depression are common and may be strong due to the hormonal changes that occur after an abortion. Most women find these feelings do not last very long.
- Your partner or parents may experience similar emotions. It can be helpful to discuss these emotions with your partner or parents.
- It is important to have a support system to help you. After an Abortion
Please visit our Pregnancy Options